So, in terms of quickly providing me a box, Birchbox definitely wins as the only one who sent one off for May. I signed up in mid-May and received it at the end of the month. Observe below:
- It came in box form. The box is cute. There is foam on the bottom, which does not seem environmentally sound. Also, what am I going do with these boxes?
- I received five items, which is, in fact, the allotted amount. Four of them were interesting on their face and one was definitely not for me.
- I could choose to see what items I was getting in advance, or wait and be surprised.
- I could choose to follow the tracking, but it was way off for this box.
- You can usually choose either a pre-arranged box, a single product out of a small pre-chosen selection, or just be surprised. I did not have an option other than pure surprise for this box, since I chose so late.
- They send a little card with descriptions and the price of every same in full size.
The items! And, were they appropriate? Any good?
1. Coola Mineral SPF 30 Daydream Makeup Primer
Am I interested in trying new primers? Yes. So this seemed like a good pick. Also, nothing feels more like dumping money down the drain than buying a primer. This one was okay. It only worked for me to use very very lightly- it made my face feel… well… a little sticky and if I wasn’t careful it didn’t spread well. When used lightly with light foundation, it seemed fine. I wore it one day when I was outside a lot and didn’t burn much, so that’s nice for us folks who are genetically prone to turn bright red.
2. Living Proof Perfect hair Day (PhD) In-Shower Styler
I have wavy hair, so I was excited about this one. It took a little trial and error. The first time it didn’t spread evenly, but it did keep my hair from becoming a frizzy mess, so that was cool. I accidentally applied too much to the roots, so they were stiff, despite rinsing. It lasted most of the work day, which is better than my usual half day.
The second time I put on too little and it didn’t keep my curls and waves as nice.
The third time was just right.
I really like this one.
3. R+Co DEATH VALLEY Dry Shampoo
I’ve never met a dry shampoo I really liked. I hate having unwashed hair. This seemed just as good/bad as other dry shampoos I’ve used. It’s in a sample size, which is perfect for me. I travel for work all the time, so it’s great to keep in my bag in case I need dry shampoo.
4. The Beauty Crop Fabulous Flocking Lashes Mascara
Mascara is one of my favorites. My only good feature are my eyes, so if I choose one product, it’s mascara. A second would be eyeshadow. This mascara was sadly disappointing. It didn’t really help my lashes at all and came off very oddly. I tossed it.
5. Vita Liberata Fabulous Self Tanning Gradual Lotion
I have zero interest in self-tanning, so I didn’t even touch this one.
So, end verdict:
Crappy product: 1
I will never use this: 1
I reviewed everything, which is supposed to help with future batches. We shall see….