Another one that is not a box. Ipsy comes with a little makeup bag. This one looks like it was created for a teenager…. It’s pretty small. Would work well for throwing a few items in your purse. The bags aren’t as good quality as the free clinique makeup bags you get with their bonus promotions, which literally last forever, as far as I can tell.
I wasn’t ever completely sold on this subscription, as their website is clearly geared towards a much younger crowd, but a friend really wanted me to give it a try.
So- my box/bag!
NYX Professional Makeup Whipped Lip & Cheek Souffle- Tried it. Didn’t like it at all.
sky ICELAND Glacial Face Wash with White Willow Bark- Tried it. It was fine. I will certainly use up the sample.
theBalm Cosmetics Balm Springs Blush- This was pretty decent blush. It works well for my skin tone and was easy to put on without being too pigmented. I will keep using it. I don’t use a lot of blush, but I like this option.
Trust Fund Beauty Nail Polish- didn’t like the color and just found the polish to be okay. I prefer neutral pink for nails so not sure what one would be expected to do with turquoise.
Luna by Luna Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Jace- this was pretty decent eyeshadow. It was very pigmented. The color is much warmer than I prefer, but I’ve used it a couple times with a few others. It’s a nice matte shadow and it stays well.
Overall, not sure about this bag. A few decent products but the colors are off. I reviewed everything and they do include color as part of the review process, so I will be interested to see how that plays out.
Okay, first Sephora box is here. Not a box, though! More on that in a minute. Items were removed from packaging and a card placed by them for scale as several tiny items had deceptively large packaging. It seemed like these samples were pretty small, which wasn’t great- how am I supposed to know if I like a product if I can only try it twice?
A benefit of Play! is it comes in a little bag. I can definitely see myself reusing these- they are smaller than a usual makeup bag and will be great when traveling or throwing a few items in my purse.
Another benefit of Play! is that it comes with a card to use in Sephora stores for 50 bonus Beauty Insider points. You have to use with by the end of July with a purchase, but if you shop at Sephora a ton, it’s an easy way to rack up points.
Okay. So. Play!, like everything else, comes with five items and sometimes, a free ‘scent’. I got a scent this time as a bonus. Let’s run down what I got, left to right.
- Ouai Rose Hair and Body Oil.
- I’m not sure what this is. The instructions say I am supposed to put 1-3 drops through wet hair or after blowdrying to calm frizz. What does that even mean? One drop on my whole head or per strand or… what? You can also put it on dry skin, daily.
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick- bold fuschia
- This went on nicely, but the color… NO. I am looking for something to use in a professional setting. Just. NO. Dumping it.
- The POREfessional Face Primer
- It is so tiny I fear one use will kill it, but I will give it a try.
- Update: I used it. It was fine, but I don’t think a primer I would buy.
- Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel
- Hey there clearly half full sample. This is supposed to go on my hair before I air dry it. I will check it out…
- Update: This worked really well and didn’t leave my hair feeling crunchy or an odor. And, even better, no scent. Wish it had been a full sample…
- First Aid Beauty: Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer
- The name makes me not want to try this, but I will.
- Update- This was actually a really good primer. It was very smooth and my foundations seemed to hold well. I liked it. There was also a lot in the sample so I can use it for a while.
- Bonus: Black Opium YvesSaintLaurent perfume
- Okay, this was a surprise! I usually HATE perfume. This one, I actually didn’t mind. Of course it is just a teeny tiny sample but given that I never wear perfume, if I wore it only to special occasions it might last me for years!
There doesn’t seem to be a way to review and rate the samples! So…. I assume that means there is no way to adjust for feedback. I took the quiz again and they didn’t ask for color preferences, so how will they know not to give me that horrendous shade of lipstick again? I’m concerned about this.
Not only were they the first and only May box, Birchbox was the first to get their June box to me. So, what does June bring forth?
I like the polka dots but… seriously, what am I supposed to do with all these boxes?
Something different about this month- instead of 5 random samples, I chose one of three samples. I decided to try the Smashbox primer. Aside from that sample, the other four were sent by Birchbox. I’ve had a week or so to try most of them out at least once, so… without further ado…. June.
[As soon as I typed that, I got the song June Hymn stuck in my head… so here’s my attempt to remove it.]
Now that the song is out of my head, my samples…
- amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
- Like all dry shampoos, it seems fine. I only used it once so far, because I don’t use them that often. It’s not better nor worse than any others I’ve tried, and the fact that I am using a dry shampoo means I didn’t have time to wash my hair and I am grumpy, anyway… Another great size for travel.
- COOLA Mineral Face SPF 30 Rosilliance
- Terrible. Why? There was literally one single drop in the container. Who sends out an empty container? I have no idea if I liked it because they didn’t send me an actual sample. I am not happy about this. I can see from their website from reviews of other similar products I am not the only person with this experience. If I get another empty sample I am done with this subscription.
- Mellow Cosmetics Liquid Lip Paint- Tehran
- I did not care for this color at ALL. I prefer natural or slightly pink or slightly red lipgloss/lipstick, so brown is not going to work for me. I didn’t love the texture especially, but I hated how it looks so much I took it off immediately. I therefore cannot vouch for whether it lasts long or not.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- I don’t wear a whole lot of foundation, but I did like this primer. It felt light and was very smooth. My foundation went on smoothly underneath. The lack of SPF might make it a better winter primer.
- Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator
- I’m a bit nervous to try this as my skin is pretty sensitive. I unfortunately got a lot of sun this week and didn’t feel like it was a good time to try it, so I’m going to wait a few days. I will update this post once I try it out.
So… a mixed box. I felt I liked the first box better, maybe just because I was really disappointed with two of the products here, including the product that didn’t exist. We’ll see if they improve or if Birchbox isn’t for me…
Coming up soon, two new subscription boxes (bags), some new eyeshadow I bought recently, and more….